CHIP Coverage for Unborn Children
If you are pregnant, a Texas resident, you don’t have insurance, and you cannot get Medicaid, you may be able to get perinatal coverage from CHIP. This coverage is for your unborn baby. It covers your labor with delivery and your baby’s health and medical services for its first months of life.
CHIP perinatal benefits include:
- Up to 20 prenatal visits
- Prescription drug coverage
- The cost of giving birth*
- Two doctor visits for mom after the birth of the baby
- Regular checkups, vaccines, and prescriptions for your baby
* Hospital and other costs related to labor with delivery of the baby. Costs from labor that does not result in a birth and false labor are not covered.
Learn more about CHIP perinatal benefits.
Medicaid for Pregnant Women
A pregnant woman can receive Medicaid benefits during pregnancy and up to two months after birth if she meets certain income requirements. To learn more, visit the HHSC website.
To apply, dial 2-1-1, pick a language, then pick option 2 - Medicaid and other State of Texas benefits.
Or download this form and fill it out, then send the completed form in a stamped envelope to:
P.O. Box 14600
Midland, TX 79711-4600